Site Meter

March 1, 2010

Baby Steps



So, this weekend I was going to start on "The Album". How did it go?

Well, I got as far as pulling out all my guitars, fixing a cup of coffee and strumming a Dsus2 chord. In terms of positive progress, that was about it.

Okay, so I'm being somewhat "glass half empty" about the whole thing. What I did do was make some choices as far as the style of the album etc and also in terms of procedures. What does that mean? Well, stuff like how I would record stuff, the need to document amp settings, mic placements etc, making sure that my hand-held digital recorder was handy for capturing ideas etc.

Musically, my mojo was on a break, though. Despite hours of noodling and brooding I didn't feel like I made any tangible progress, artistically. Still, I guess just starting is something. You gotta start somewhere...

Oh, stylistically we're talking some raw electric blues mixed with the occasional acoustic plucking. Swampy and honest.

3 comments:

Axe Victim said...

Well before you do all the hard work such as working out mic placements, drum patterens and so forth you first need to have some songs. Write a clutch of songs first. Then make the album. Otherwise (even with the best will in the world) it won't happen.

Ken Skinner said...

Oh, absolutely. What I meant to say was that when I've recorded stuff in the past I've sometimes wanted to go back at a later date and add a bit here and there. Fills etc... you know. BUT I've not bothered to note down amp settings etc so dialling up the same tone hasn't been easy. I also have a bad habit of finding 'the sound' I want for a song then dialling away from it and never being able to get it again.

What I thought I'd do is make notes for each song how I recorded it etc.

Not sure what to do if there's too much heavy air one day, though...

Furtheron said...

moving on...