Site Meter

March 14, 2008

Big Day Tomorrow

So, as everyone keeps reminding me, it's the big day tomorrow. In just a few hours I get to perform "Taylor" in front of class. Seeing as how I have no singing voice, whatsoever, I've arranged it to be more of an instrumental piece. We'll see how it goes. Tim wants me to do a preview performance tonight, which strangely I'm more nervous about as I'm geared up for getting it right tomorrow morning, not tonight!

I changed the way I play the song in a couple of ways over the past week. Probably not a good idea, but I think it sounds better when strumming if I a) selectively only play partial chords and b) strum more with my wrist so that I emphasise the first downstroke after each change. That way you get the impression of a descending bassline. I'm also using the same strum on three of the chords but changing it on the last one to build tension leading into the change. Mixing things up in the eleventh hour is never a good idea, though... could be a disaster! What am I thinking?!?!

I decided to add a widget to this page, over on the right, which gives a countdown to midnight on New Year's Eve 2008. That's my deadline for transforming myself into a Rock God. Right now it says I have 292 days, 7 hours etc. Gee, that sounds like a long time, doesn't it? Something tells me it's going to fly by. Pretty soon it'll be Spring, then Summer, and after that I'll be on the home stretch.

After tomorrow I'm on my own again. On the plus side, I'm not going to be restricted to playing acoustic, so Red can come out of his kennel. On the downside, it means that I have to actively do something to get ahead, interact with other musicians and so on. Back into unknown territory.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there again,

Good luck for tomorrow.

Regarding playing it for Tim, I think it is a good idea. In fact, I'd almost suggest that after you play it for Tim (a couple of times), you might invite a couple of friends over to play it for them too.

I believe that the more you play it in front of other people the more comfortable you'll become playing it. Plus, that will put distance between the new version and the old versions you mentioned...

Aside from that, keep in mind that everyone needs to play their song for the class... So I honestly doubt that too many people are worried about your song, as they have their mind on their performance right now. Do yours as early as possible. That way you can relax and learn from other people's pieces. (and you won't be tempted to try to change your at the last-last minute)

What to do next? Have you heard of Jonathan Coulton? [http://www.jonathancoulton.com/primer/info] He left his job some time ago to start composing music. He ended up doing good (I love some of his songs) and now does support himself (and wife and kid, I think) playing music...

He did it by doing a "Thing-a-Week" in which he wrote and recorded a song a week... You might consider doing something similar...

I think if I was in your position I'd do the same thing -- at least until I got a better idea... But I wouldn't quit my day job (how else would I afford strings?!)... Not sure if that is a possibility for you...

Anyway, again my sincerest good luck. I'm sure I'd a be fine.

Anonymous said...

Slight typeo: "I'm sure I'd a be fine." should be "I'm sure you'll be fine"

I typed it too fast and didn't re-read the last sentence...

Ken Skinner said...

Hey Frank, thanks for the tips... I wish I'd read them before the performance :-) They'd actually have been really helpful in hindsight! D'Oh!