Site Meter

March 13, 2008

How To Make Your Own Slash

From time to time I check out the Gibson website. At the moment they're featuring an extract from Slash's recently released autobiography, entitled "SLASH". I read it with interest.

Sometimes I ask myself whether Rock Gods are born or whether they're created. In Slash's case, I think he straddles both camps, one booted foot in each.

In case you wanted to make a 'Slash' from scratch, here's the recipe:

Take one set of multiracial parents and place in Paris in the '60s. The mother should be a costume designer working in the music industry. Dad should be a painter.

Transfer the mix to Portobello Road in London, not forgetting to put the mother to one side, in LA. Submerge in the Beat movement and allow to infuse.

Recombine all ingredients in LA, add classic record collections, animals and alcohol. Fold in Joni Mitchell, Jim Morrison and a fresh clump of Glen Frey.

Once the father has absorbed all the alcohol, remove from the mix and briefly replace with David Bowie.

Stir well with a Gibson Les Paul and turn the heat to max!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Slightly off topic question... but sort of on topic. Your post mention Gibson and Les Pauls.

And you seem to be a rather big fan of Les Pauls... I've noticed that both Gibson and Epiphone produce a guitar with the Les Paul name... I also believe that the two companies are related but I'm not sure how...

What is the difference between the two guitars? Is it like "Fender" and "Squier"? Or not quite?

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I think I just figured it out.

Gibson is the full American version (read expensive) and Epiphone is the cheaper (but still high quality) counterpart.... Like Fender and Squier...


Kinda, maybe?

Ken Skinner said...

Sounds about right. Different woods and hardware/pickups plus factory built as opposed to hand built. Having said that, lots of good people play Epiphones as you can swap out the pick-ups easily.

Gibson 'own' Epiphone, though.

I always wanted one, even before playing. I played one early on and hated it, but still loved the look and shape. Recent Les Pauls are REALLY nice. The scale length on the LP's is shorter (ie shorter neck) which can make playing easier.