Site Meter

May 6, 2008

Interview Day

So, as I mentioned in a previous entry I've been considering whether changing jobs would be a realistic way to create more time for myself, not just because of The Project, but to help reset my work-life balance. To that end I put some feelers out and lined up an interview for this afternoon. If I took the job, my commute would reduced by up to 2 hours a day.

As I arrived at work this morning, all my co-workers noted that I was wearing a shirt... and trousers. No, I don't work at a nudist colony! Normally I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of guy, even though 'my look' falls waaaay short of the corporate minimum dress code. For whatever reason, The Man cuts me some slack and looks the other way. Hey, it's their fault for introducing Casual Fridays back in the 90's. Fridays bled into Mondays, then Tuesdays and before I knew it my office clothes were moth-fodder.

Any road up, I made an effort to dress nicely today. I even have a necktie in my bag, believe it or not! I'm not sure that I remember how to tie one, but I'll give it a go.

I'll admit that I'm not putting too much weight on the interview today. Yes, the location of the office is good but it'd most likely mean a significant pay cut and the work would be no different. In the back of my mind was the possibility that I could use another job offer as a bargaining chip with my current employer and finangle working from home one or two days a week. Once I had my foot in the door I could justify only commuting when strictly necessary. Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?

Then came today's surprise! Out of the blue I got an email from an old friend. We go way back. We first worked together during my gap year, between school and university. I think it's safe to say we hold each other in high esteem.

So, I get this email from him, asking me whether I'd be interested in working at his company's new office, which is just round the corner from where I'm being interviewed today! I let him know what's going on and he strongly urged me not to make any rash decisions. He's going to see what he can do to set up a meeting with his firm as soon as possible.

Hey, it's nice to be wanted, eh? What's gonna happen? Dunno. Watch this space!

In Project news, I was going to take the weekend off, to celebrate the first sunshine of the year. The lure of strumming whilst catching some rays was too strong, though.

I took the basic chord structure from my current work-in-progress, "Your Own Time", and laid it right back, plucking and slapping the strings rather than strumming. I'd just recorded enough to loop and jam over when a) our neighbour started mowing her yard, rendering recording pointless and b) I got a video conference call from Oscar the cat! Okay, so it was actually from Tim, who had discovered our errant moggie attempting to lay claim to one of the local community gardens and decided I should see what he was up to. I imagine that in the cat world, 'Scar probably owns everything in a 5 mile radius by now.

No comments: