Site Meter

May 15, 2008

Time Is On My Side

With 230 days left on The Project clock it looks like I'm finally going to have more hours in the day. I recently attended two job interviews and have just heard that I've been offered both positions. They're both in the same geographic area, about a 30 minute commute (as opposed to my current 3 hour daily round trip)... to my surprise, both pay more than I'm currently getting... both hold the promise of more interesting work and the real possibility of progression. Over the next day or so I have to choose between the two roles. One of them will see me acting as an external consultant which means that I need to go through the contract with a fine-tooth comb to make sure I'm not signing up for less money (VAT considerations) or more liability than I expect. Ah, the joys of self-employment!

I had wondered what I'd do if the company I'm currently contracting for offered me the option of working from home. At this time I can't imagine them bringing it to the table, though. It's also a carrot they could offer now then withdraw a few weeks or months down the line, in which case I'd be right back at zero. Do I sound cynical? Nooooo... The more likely outcome of me announcing that I'm leaving is that they'll throw money at me to try and buy me off. It's worked for them in the past, but not this time.

Thinking objectively, I reckon I need to step outside my comfort zone and make a change. It'll help me personally, professionally AND The Project will benefit. Can't really argue with that!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whatever you decide, which ever path you take I'm sure it will work out.

All-in-all, it sounds like making the move would benefit you in every way (the project and career). I don't see why not to move, but I'm looking in to your situation with very limited scope.

Good luck with whatever you decide. And don't have regrets; Go 100% into your decision.

Regards,
Frank

Anonymous said...

Kenski - Don't sweat it. Just keep on rocking and doing it with the stuff you have going on. Being a guitar rock star is a lifetime project. :)

IG